Thursday, October 29, 2009

Workflow for a logo

A few days ago I found post here http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/in_brief_why_do_you_sketch_log.php
It is not a fresh article because it is dated June but I've considered it interesting and brainstorming because it let me think about my workflow.

When I have to create a new logo why I start sketching in on paper?


This is what I replied in the post's comment:
I sketch to rid off useless ideas that can became useful ones in other occasions. In addition, a company logo is all inside lines and paper because it needs to be printed to be real. You focus an idea on paper and refine it on your computer and you gain both the digital and analogical result.

As a matter of fact this consideration has a worth not only for logos but for all other printing works too!
This is the workflow that I unconsciously do once I have to create something for printing:
  1. Firstly, I try to focusing the brand concept: what kind of company it is? Which message it wants to communicate?
  2. I make a list on paper of all this concept and start to surf the net searching for competitors or images that can be reconnected to the ideas focused.
  3. I start to sketch, as I said, to rid off useless ideas. These ideas can inspired me other stuffs for the same Company (ads, panels, presentations) in other occasions so I keep them.
  4. Finally I start the real job. I scan the sketches that better represent my idea, two or three at least, and start to work on them using the appropriate software, depending on what I'm creating.

Logo's workflow sketches
I enclose here, as example, the sketches of how I'm creating a logo for an organic food market.

Which workflow are you used to?