Monday, June 22, 2009

Birthday Challenge









Today is my birthday and I felt that it was time to come clean. I am skating on thin ice, getting long in the tooth, going around the bend! But I don't feel old. In fact, I feel exactly like the same person I have always been, albeit a bit wiser. I still like to run through the woods, roll on the floor with the dogs, and eat an occasional hot dog. I still push the limits, enjoy an adventure, or play the fool. Sky diving is on my bucket list along with many other firsts. So much left to do! So what's the big deal? Why do we resent aging so much? In fact, I love my age. I'm smart enough to have learned from my mistakes and lucky enough to have survived them. So in celebration of my birthday I'd like to give away one of my prints and challenge you to fess up. How many of these do you remember? I double dog dare you!



Candy cigarettes
Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Hoola hoop contests
Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers
Party lines
Newsreels before the movie
Telephone numbers with a word prefix .... (Drexel-5505
Howdy Doody
45 RPM Records
Green Stamps
Hi-fi's
Metal ice cube trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Blue flash bulbs
Beanie and Cecil
Cork pop guns
Drive ins
Studebakers
Wash Tub wringers
The Fuller Brush man
Reel-to-reel tape recorders
The "twist", "mashed potatoes", and "funky-chicken"
Tinkertoys
The Erector Set
Lincoln Logs
15 cent McDonald hamburgers & 10 cent fries
5 cent packs of baseball cards..... with that slab of pink bubblegum
penny candy
35 cent-a-gallon gasoline
When the first man walked on the moon
When Elvis Presley first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show
When the Beatles arrived
When the Barbie doll hit the scene


To celebrate the day I am giving away any 8x10 or smaller print from my Etsy shop. Here is how to enter:

Leave a comment on this blog with the following information:
  • Go to my Etsy shop and select your favorite print by title, the one you will win!
  • What is my age? The clues are all here in this post. Must be correct in order to win.
  • Fess up! Tell me something you remember. Feel free to add to this list too.
  • Leave a way to contact you.
Each comment will be assigned a number and the winner will be selected by a random number generator. Entry deadline is midnight Colorado mountain time on June 24, 2009. Winner to be announced on June 25, 2009.