Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Photography Studio Open House

A photographer takes pictures. Well, that is no news flash. What may surprise you is that the time spent shooting photography is very small to the amount of time that is spent in the studio. After a typical day shooting maybe two hundred photos or more, I download the digital files to my computer. Then I catalog, keyword, delete, sort, and sort more until I have a small file of workable photos. This can all take the good part of a day.

But then comes the fun part. I get to "play" with the new photos and make them into something beautiful. It may be a minor edit or it might be something purely from my imagination that takes days of work to get just right. It depends on the photograph and what I am trying to communicate to my viewer. I am not a photo journalist so I feel no necessity to sticking to reality. What I remain true to is the emotion of the moment or what the scene was evoking. Sometimes I print numerous drafts before printing an actual archival photograph. Sometimes it's a print! Sometimes it is back to the drawing board. This is the space where you will find me most of the time. I am the one sitting at the computer playing with photography and smiling.



Photography studio work table.
This is my work table which always seems to be over flowing with photo drafts, projects, photography books and files.


My photography studio work station.
Here is the opposite corner of my studio. There is a fireplace, more book shelves, and another table with my "darkroom," the computer.


Southern view out my photography studio window.
Sometimes I just stop and take a look at the view from my work table.

Feel free to ask questions and thanks for visiting!





Etsy
Buy Handmade
JulieMagersSoulen